Saturday, August 20, 2011

Teaser for Chapter 18 of Bitemarks & Bloodstains

You couldn't have done me a favor and gotten Carlisle on board so I don't have to?” I ask, wrinkling my nose in distaste at the prospect of having to have another conversation with him.

You'll live,” Bella replies dryly as she pats my chest twice, and we fall into a comfortable silence that doesn't last nearly long enough as we walk through the woods on our way back toward the house with the silent understanding laying between us that we're going to have to start talking to people about this possibility. It's more of an understanding that I'm going to have to start talking to the others.

I am beyond pleased when the house turns out to be empty, save for Esme.

Why do you like her, more than the others?” Bella asks.

It's surprising, the way that she can pick something that I consider completely shrouded out of the air and slap me in the face with it. “She's... Esme is real. She doesn't try to hide behind what she thinks the world views her as, and she doesn't pander to anyone. What you see is what you get.”

You know, you said something similar about my Dad once,” Bella comments, and I'd never actually seen that parallel until she pointed it out. Charlie and Esme, they're actually a lot alike.

I never realized how much they have in common,” I muse aloud.

Me either. You ready for this?”

Nope, but that seldom stops me.”

Now that, I had noticed,” Bella says with a laugh, and she grabs my left hand with her right and forcibly leads me toward the house. “Will you just relax? It's not like Esme is going to judge you for whatever notions run through that crazy head of yours.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise